StalAge is an R (R Core Team, 2016) code developed to construct age models for speleothems (Scholz and Hoffmann, 2011; Scholz et al., 2012). It was specifically designed to construct speleothem age-depth models based on 230Th/U-ages, but it can also be applied to other archives and age data.
StalAge was originally developed for R 2.10.1. In principle, StalAge also works with the most recent version of R, but a few problems/crashes have been reported. Thus, we recommend using version 2.10.1 of R to guarantee accurate application.
Installation of R 2.10.1 and the required packages
- Uninstall potential other versions of R on your computer
- Unzip the installation files for R 2.10.1
- Install R 2.10.1
- Unzip the R packages "splines", "survival", and "tcltk" (Folder "packages_1"). These are required for the application of StalAge.
- Unzip the R packages "Hmisc", "rpanel", and "plotrix" (Folder "packages_2").
- Copy the folders of the corresponding packages into the folder “C:\Program Files\R\R-2.10.1\library” on your computer.
Application of StalAge
The folder "StalAge" contains the R code of StalAge 1.0, detailed step-by-step instructions for its application as well as example data and figures. In case of any problems or questions, please contact us.
R Core Team, 2016. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
Scholz, D. and Hoffmann, D. L., 2011. StalAge – an algorithm designed for construction of speleothem age models. Quaternary Geochronology 6, 369-382.
Scholz, D., Hoffmann, D. L., Hellstrom, J., and Bronk Ramsey, C., 2012. A comparison of different methods for speleothem age modelling. Quaternary Geochronology 14, 94-104.